Digital Library >, Defining and serving a market >, Differentiating your company
Your company and/or product identity impacts your bottom line. A positive company and product identity enhances your sales and your entire marketing communications project. This guide explains how you can create and project an pic that will help you sell your product or service.
This Business Builder examines the importance of your company’s identity and explains how you can create and project an pic that will help you sell your product or service.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE GETTING Began [top]
Your company and/or product identity impacts your bottom line. A positive company and product identity will enhance your sales and your entire marketing communications project.
Is Your ",Company Identity", The Same Spil Your ",Company Photo?",
The two purposes of this discussion are very close te meaning but somewhat nuanced. Your company identity can be defined spil the various characteristics by which you and your product are recognized and known. Your company photo therefore, is how your business identity is perceived by customers, professional associates, the media and the public at large.
Apple Pc, for example, is known for pioneering state-of-the-art laptop products. Most consumers are familiar with the Apple logo. The production of computers and rekentuig technology is one opzicht of their corporate identity. But how is this company perceived? What photo does it project? Opinions may vary, but generally, Apple Laptop is considered a pioneer, a company that several years ago set out to switch the world with computers, and did.
What Specific Characteristics Comprise My Business Identity?
There are many characteristics that establish your business identity: your product or service, logo, and advertisements are the most demonstrable. But there are many extra elements that contribute to your pic including your office location, the paper you use for correspondence and even how you speak overheen the phone. Your identity is affected by everything you do that your customers and potential customers might become aware of.
Why Is My Business Identity So Significant?
There may be a temptation on the part of fresh business owners to think: ",If my product or service is good, that’s all that counts.", While a quality product is essential to a quality pic, the reality is that ter today’s business strijdperk, photo sells. If you’re a financial planner and utterly insider at investing other people’s money, you need to communicate that you’re not only financially clever, but that you’re reliable and trustworthy. You wouldn’t visit a client’s office dressed ter jeans and a t-shirt. You would very likely wear a conservative suit because that attire conveys a dependable, reliable photo &mdash, the kleuter of person who can be trusted to treat finances. People don’t want to give their money to someone who conveys via their dress, that they aren’t serious te a business situation. For this type of business you wouldn’t have a business card printed ter neon colors either. A white card with a traditional type face would be a more suitable choice.
PROCESS OF CREATING YOUR COMPANY’S IDENTITY [top]
The process of creating your company’s identity will go after thesis stages:
- Determine Your Business Identity
- Vormgeving Your Business Identity
- Communicate Your Business Identity
Determine Your Business Identity
Ask yourself this question: What do I want my customers to say and think about my product and company? Answering this question will help you determine what kleuter of identity you want to establish. For example, do you want your pic to be that of a pioneer, innovative, high tech, reliable, total of status, conservative? When determining your identity, you voorwaarde also evaluate and consider three significant factors:
Type Of Business and Product.
If your business is providing entertainment to children’s parties your identity is likely to be joy and lighthearted. Your logo would encompass bright colors and it would be very suitable to have balloons te your office. If you sell expensive custom-built sees, your pic voorwaarde communicate status and finesse, but a tire wholesaler has to woo his customers his product is reliable and durable. Te general, professions dealing with finances project conservative pictures, companies dealing with advanced technologies project modern pics and advertising agencies and vormgeving firms reflect artistic identities.
A rule of thumb to go after ter developing your identity is that it should match the identity of your customers and potential customers. If you own a corporate cleaning service and are targeting Wall Street firms, you should project the conservative picture of your potential customers. You might be tempted to think, ",I’m not treating the money, I’m just cleaning their offices,", but that would be a mistake. People like to overeenkomst with people who reflect their own pic. It makes them more convenient because they are dealing with a known entity, someone they can relate to and understand. It’s significant to recall that there is always a subtle, yet pervasive psychology operating spil a potential customer makes a decision to buy. Albeit the quality of your product and service is a major factor ter the outcome of the process, they judge your company by its photo.
There are two schools of thought on this kwestie. One that says your own business identity should come close to your competitor’s and the other that says you should stand out from your competition. For an identity with the greatest influence, you want an suitable blend of the two. If you’re a fresh pharmaceutical company and your competition has bot te business for several years and has an excellent reputation, you will not be able to match their pic te terms of consistency and reliability. You shouldn’t attempt. Certainly, you’ll want to project an pic that like them, you have wise and trustworthy people working for you.
What you need is an photo that can give you a competitive advantage. Te this situation you would construct your identity to suggest that you’re an ",innovator.", You would turn the fact that you’re a fresh, fresh company with a different treatment to research and development to your advantage. Your advertisements would stress that because you don’t have to overeenkomst with a tangled bureaucracy, you can spend more time coming up with cutting-edge products. Write down what you would like your business identity to be:
Create Your Identity
Te order to project the identity that’s right for your type of business and target market, you voorwaarde create it. You do this by establishing a consistent look and feel to all your communications. While there are many significant elements that will help you establish your identity, none is more critical than your logo. Your logo emerges on all of your correspondence, your business card and te your advertisements. The purpose of a logo is to instantly convey the essence of your company’s identity.
If you think you can’t afford professional help, think again. An inappropriate logo will cost you far more ter the long run te terms of sales. If your budget prohibits hiring a vormgeving stiff there are many talented free-lance designers you can hire to work with you. Spil you work with a professional designer, here are some basic guidelines:
- Make a point to notice other company’s logos. Take a stack of magazines and do some effortless research. Look at them critically and ask yourself what zuigeling of picture they convey and why.
- Avoid Graphics. Graphic emblems or sophisticated geometric patterns usually don’t work for logos. Ter fact, the simpler and more understated your logo, the more influence it will have. Graphics and patterns will complicate your logo when its purpose is to quickly make a statement about your company or product.
- Color is a significant factor of a logo. Bright colors are strong attention getters and excite people. Blue and gray are conservative colors. If you want to convey an picture that your company is hot, fashionable and on the cutting edge, use crimson, yellow and orange. You can use the same color spil your competitor uses but vary the shade to differentiate your business.
For example, American Express uses a consistent typestyle te all of their communications. They employ the same shade of the color green via all of their marketing communications involving their basic credit card. The color green is a significant, inseparable opzicht of their logo.
For example, The Gap uses a dark opbergruimte to fine effect ter their logo.
Or, you may alter or manipulate one letterteken to communicate the idea that your company is like your competition’s, established and trustworthy, but that there’s something different and titillating going on. Intel employs this technology effectively by ripping off the letterteken e ter their name below the surplus of the letters. It’s eye catching and makes a powerful statement.
Here are some examples of taglines:
General Electrified: ",Wij Bring Good Things To Life.",
Lexus: ",The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection.",
British Airways: ",The World’s Dearest Airline.",
Each of the above taglines doesn’t merely suggest an identity, it explicitly tells people what the identity is. If a company is successful ter creating the right logo and tagline, the consumer will believe it. When writing your tagline, very first isolate two key words you want associated with your identity. Quality, Perfection, Beloved, Innovative, Luxury, Solutions, Affordable, Inventing.
Choose the word that you want to sum up your business. Now write a brief sentence no more than six words to encompass or explain your key word.
Think ,If you isolated the word ",Solution", your tagline might be: ",Financial Solutions For Petite Businesses.", It’s very clear from this tagline who this company’s market is and what they’re doing for them.
Project Your Identity
Now that you’ve created your logo, it voorwaarde show up on all of your communication vehicles including letterhead, invoices, envelopes, business cards and packaging. The ",look", you establish ter your logo ter terms of color and stylistic elements vereiste then be integrated to all of your communications. If you use the color crimson te your logo, your stationary should too. If you use a typestyle, your sales brochures and company literature you vereiste use a compatible typestyle. Consistency and repetition are how you will rigidly root your photo into the minds of your target market and the public at large.
Integrating your logo into your communications is the very first step, next you voorwaarde also employ your marketing implements cautiously and correctly:
- Sales Pamflet. If a prospective customer called you today and asked you to send information about your product or service what would you do? Send them a letterteken and three product sheets stapled together explaining your business and product suggesting? Even if your material is well-written, you will convey an picture that you’re a puny, possibly not well-established organization. It doesn’t matter if that’s true or not, the point is ter the eyes of your prospective customer it’s a possibility.
You should have a sales vlugschrift to communicate the following:
- Who you are
- What business you’re te
- Your product is or service’s features
- The benefits a client will yield by doing business with you
If your budget isn’t going to permit using an outside agency to produce your vlugschrift, you can create a plain, yet effective, lump using a laser printer and a pre-designed pamflet format available with almost all desktop publishing programs. After, you’ve established yourself, however, a laser-printed folder won’t be suitable. You should hire a vormgeving agency to create one for you with photographs and graphics. It’s an essential component of a professional organization’s sales materials.
A media lijm contains the following:
- A press release that explains what is fresh, different, or titillating about your product or service
- A sales vlugschrift
- Product testimonials
- A product sample or photograph
- Related literature such spil articles from newspapers or magazines.
For example, after an oil spill, a chemical company might make a large donation to a environmental agency te order to counteract the unfavorable impression that they’re ruining the environment.
Many companies hire public relations agencies or publicists to help them secure publicity ter print and broadcast media and manage their public picture. After you’ve established yourself, you may want to consider consulting or hiring a professional PR person. Your local chapter of the Public Relations Society of America can help you find an suitable stiff or free-lancer.
For example, you would never write: ",You’ll love our electronic checking account.", You would write: ",The electronic checking feature means you never have to worry about getting your check ter your account on time.",
If you have good writing abilities you can learn how to write effectively to appeal to your target market. If sales writing is not one of your strengths, or a particular strength of any of your employees, you should hire a copywriter to assist you ter all of your communications. Copywriters are trained ter the kunst of writing copy that sells.
Again, you voorwaarde think of the consequences of not paying a professional to do a job when you’re not qualified to do it yourself. Executing one ill-conceived, poorly written sales letterteken will encourage a potential client to determine to take their business elsewhere.
A final word about your communications: To produce low-quality marketing contraptions is to broadcast that you’re a puny operation with low standards and few resources. A laser printer, combined with a good word processing program, will give the capability to produce attractive and professional materials. If a laser printer is an unlikely purchase for you right now, you still have the option of using your local print shop.
Make sure you use high quality unie paper for all outer communications and reserve the less expensive paper for in-house correspondence. Most companies use a 70-pound unie paper. Make sure to choose a color that fits with your logo and look.
Physical aspects of your company’s identity.
Aside from business communications, you communicate a good overeenkomst about your business ter physical ways:
- Your location. If you establish your business te a professional office park or building, you’re telling everyone that you’re serious about your business. If you rent office space te a shopping center, however, it may be cheaper, but your potential clients won’t view you spil favorably. You should be enormously careful about working from huis if your clients and potential customers will be meeting with your there. Many businesses such spil doctor’s offices are located te houses because doctors want to be accessible to where their patients live and they almost always have a separate entrance. Unless you have a separate slagroom dedicated solely spil office space, you should avoid professional meetings ter your huis. Suggest instead that you will meet at your client’s office or schedule lunch meetings at a restaurant.
- Your office furniture. Don’t furnish your office with leftovers from huis. If your budget is a problem, take care of very first things very first. Since it’s the very first view potential customers get when they inject your office, a reception area should be your very first decorating priority. There vereiste be a few convenient chairs and a table. Go for quality rather than quantity. Kunst work that reflects your identity is a consideration too.
Next, concentrate on your conference slagroom rather than your office. This is especially significant if you have people who work for you that also need to meet with clients. There should be at least one private, well-furnished slagroom everyone has access to. You can always keep prospective clients out of your offices, but you will need a convenient, functional and appealing area to meet with them ter.
If you work from huis, consider installing a separate business line that only you have access to. The phone company also provides businesses with convenient phone numbers with zeros ter them. This makes a listing te the yellow pages more convenient. You should have voice mail or an answering machine installed for your business line. Voice mail is now accessible to everyone and provides better sound quality than an answering machine. Answering machines frequently encounter mechanical problems too. If you’re a one-person operation, have a friend of the opposite hook-up with a professional phone voice record the message for you. It will give the appearance that you have employees working for you. An answering service is an even better alternative because your customers will always reach a live person and they’ll think you have a receptionist.
Your Business Behavior.
Would you feel comfy hiring a financial planner who drinks too much at social functions? Very likely not. You communicate spil much about your company spil your product or logos by the way you treat yourself ter business situations.
- Dress For Success. Even if you work at huis ter a sweat suit, when it’s time to meet your clients or prospects, you need to encompass your company ",look", spil well. That’s why blue business suits are associated with conservative financial company’s such spil banks. If your identity is modern, artistic and cutting-edge a blue suit isn’t the right style for you. Brightly colored dresses, jackets and ties are more suitable to express your company’s identity.
- Response your phone ter a uniform, professional manner. All of your employees should reaction their phones the same way. Whether it be, ",Good Morning, the Hayes Advertising Company,", or ",Hayes Advertising, how can I help you,", the point is to be professional and consistent.
- Your Employees. Word gets around about a company that treats its employees poorly, or a company that has a staff of unhappy people. It makes your associates and clients wonder why. To them it signals that there might be a problem ter the way the company is run. People want stability when they’re making significant purchases or contract for long-term services.
SOME LAST THOUGHTS ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR Pic [top]
If you feel you’ve made an error ter developing your picture, juist it quickly &mdash, that means commencing from scrape with a fresh logo, business cards and stationary. It’s worth it because of the power of pic to help you sell.
It’s likely that, spil your business grows and expands, you’ll need to adjust your tagline and your identity spil you go. Don’t make the mistake of outgrowing your pic. Anticipate switches te the market and always consider what pic issues you need to address with a fresh target market.