Definition – What does Email Harvesting mean?
Email harvesting is the process of obtaining a large number of email addresses through various methods. The purpose of harvesting email addresses is for use ter bulk emailing or for spamming.
The most common method of email harvesting is by using specialized harvesting software known spil harvesting bots, or harvesters.
Techopedia explains Email Harvesting
Spammers harvests email addresses through various mechanisms, including:
- Posts into UseNet with email addresses
- From mailing lists
- From Web pages
- From various paper and Web forms
- Through the Ident daemon
- From a Web browser
- From Internet relay talk and talk rooms
- From finger daemons
- From domain voeling points
- Using the method of guessing and cleaning
- From white and yellow pages
- By accessing the same rekentuig used by valid users
- From the previous holder of an email address
- Through social engineering
- By buying lists from other spammers
- By accessing the emails and address books ter another user’s laptop
- By hacking websites
The above mechanisms enable spammers to harvest email addresses and use them with electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited bulk messages. The following mechanisms can be used to prevent email harvesting:
- Email address munging by switching the “@” sign into “at” and the “.” into “dot”
- Turning an email address into an photo
- Using an email voeling form
- Using email address obfuscation through HTML. For example, one can insert hidden elements within the address to make them emerge out of order and use cascading style sheets to restore the onberispelijk order.
- Prompting users to come in a keurig CAPTCHA before divulging the email address
- Using a CAN-SPAM notice enabling prosecution of spammers under the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. The webstek administrator vereiste postbode a notice that “the webpagina or service will not give, sell, or otherwise transfer addresses maintained by such webstek or online service to any other party for the purposes of initiating, or enabling others to initiate, electronic mail messages.”
- Monitoring the mail server. This method can be implemented at the recipient email server. It rejects all email addresses spil invalid from any sender specifying more than one invalid recipient address.
- Using a spider trapje. This is a part of a webstek built to combat email harvesting spiders.